Monday, August 22, 2005

Fear of the Evil Cross Breeze!!!

I don't know if this is common in other eastern European countries, but Bulgarians have an incredible nervousness about the cross breeze. They are seriously quite paranoid about it! It started the first few days we were here when I kept noticing Vuicho or Baba closing windows and/or doors so that there was only ever 1 open in a room. The temperature outside was quite warm, and I personally enjoy a nice breeze in the house. It was explained to me that "cross breezes" is how people get sick and everyone is so worried about Simeon catching a cold or something. It's almost laughable. I told them that we sleep with our window open at home and a fan blowing on us (at least until we got the air conditioner). I don't think they really believed me.

And you know, I've noticed this phenomenon extends into other areas. No one ever feeds their children anything cold from the fridge until they are quite old. Little did they know we'd been giving Simeon frozen fruit popsicles since he was 7 months old! Hee hee! They are also always checking to make sure Simeon is warm enough, is dry, etc. I understand their concerns, but I guess I'm just a bit more laid back about all that. I mean, when the temperatue outside is above 20 degrees, and he wants to run around in a diaper, I figure it's great! Less laundry for me! :)

Today Dey, Sim and I went for a walk to pick up our new glasses. I'm still getting used to mine, which are quite unique. Dey says when we get back to Winnipeg I should get a funky haircut and go buy a new wardrobe and just go with a whole new look! :) We'll see... Anyways, while we were walking, I noticed babies in strollers, wrapped in thick blankets. I mean, I realize that I'm pregnant and therefore warmer than most, but honestly, it's at least 25 degrees outside! Just a funny thing about the culture here I guess.

I forgot to mention a couple of things in my last post. One thing I have gotten really spoiled with in Winnipeg is the lack of smoking. I have to say that it is much better this trip than the last time we were here, but there are still alot of smokers around and they don't seem to care too much where they blow their smoke! Yuk! It sounds like Europe is beginning to follow the trend of no smoking, but it will definitely take awhile to change things here as it is very ingrained in the culture. The other thing that I just don't get here is how people can eat food with so much oil/grease so often and still be so skinny! There really are very few overweight people around, except for older grandmotherly types. It's odd to me.

Well, that's all for today. I should be home napping with Simeon, but wasn't feeling too tired. Maybe I'll go give it a whirl, though, since he keeps me hopping when he wakes up! Have a great day! :)

9 Comments:

At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello my loves

Sooooo nice to finally hear from you. Sounds like you had a glorious time at the beach. God is good! Whats up with the deleted comments and the comments from the strangers on this post? I don't get it! We are praying for you and miss you terribly! When do you get home again?
We love you desparately,
Mom....kisses for my nicest nicest boy please.

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Joyska said...

you are seriously being spammed. i'll leave a comment on Yvonnes blog... see if she knows how to fix it... In the words of our dear Olivia Roy "How wude!"

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Yvonne Parks said...

HELP HAS ARRIVED!

okay....now people have to enter a little CODE before they comment. This keeps auto-spammers away.

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Joyska said...

Yvonne rocks!!!heehee

 
At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dee -

Sounds like you are having a fabulous time. Its nice to experience the cultural differences through you and your family - very funny! I'm looking forward to seeing all the pics.

Paula

 
At 5:21 AM, Blogger Jude said...

Interesting observations. Funny how people can be so concerned about something that doesn't matter to kids' health (cross breeze) and so unconcerned about what does (smoking). It is weird about the fried food - yet that's probably true about our culture's past - our parents and grandparents fried a lot more than we do but we're the most overweight generation. Less refined food?

 
At 7:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey you guys!
How is lovely Bulgaria? Quite nice I'm sure! I miss you all soooo much but I feel God has great plans for you for the rest of your time in Bulgaria. To much smoking, huh? That's to bad! Don't listen to Dey and get a funky haircut and new wardrobe! But, you would look pretty cool. Glad to hear Sim is enjoying everyone and everything. Kisses to him and hugs to everyone. Love you lots
Auntie Emma
P.S. Say hi to Ionka and Mitch for me and give Jordan kisses when you see him. Have fun with him.

 
At 12:58 AM, Blogger Deanna Momtchilov said...

Thanks Yvonne!

 
At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Found this with a Google search. I've spent a lot of time in the old BG and have never quite got my head wrapped around the cross breeze.
Voicho told me today that the cross breeze and the dreaded istinka (catching a cold) it brings is the root of all health problems.
As my wife says, knowing about the cross breeze is every Bulgarian's national inheritance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home