Sunday, August 07, 2005

We're Here!!!

We made it in 1 piece and with most of our sanity in tact! :) Actually, the travel went really well, considering it was 3 flights, 2 layovers, 1 delay which meant we almost missed our connection, 1 car ride, and a total of 20 hours! Simeon did awesome - thanks for all the prayers! We arrived pretty tired and unfortunately our luggage didn't make it for a few days, but we have it all now so we're all set. We were met at the airport by Deyan's uncle, his cousin and young daughter, Deyan's dad, his grandmother on that side, and his little brother. Thankfully, we didn't visit long, but jumped in the car with his uncle and drove to his grandparent's house (on his mom's side).

Simeon warmed up very quickly to PraBaba (his great-grandmother) and follows her everywhere. Deyan's grandfather looked very weak when we first saw him (he has Parkinson's disease and it is really taking it's toll on his health) but we can see the strength entering him every day that we're here. Simeon is learning Bulgarian words every day and is quite happy. My Bulgarian is starting to come back, and even though I can't speak that much, I can understand alot of the conversation before Deyan translates. And when left alone, I can get by okay with simple chats, at least with family. The only thing left for me to perfect is the proper head shaking. They nod for no and shake their head for yes, exactly the opposite of what we do in Canada!

Bulgaria is such a beautiful country. There are mountains everywhere! The way the houses are built is so unique, and although some things are pretty run-down, I find it very fascinating. The pace is very quiet here, almost to the point of boredom for a socialite like me! :) I'm sure it will pick up a bit when Mitch and Ionka arrive, but for now we are enjoying the peaceful atmosphere.

The food is great too! Breakfast usually consists of some sort of pastry (very fattening!) and this strange drink called Boza. It's thick and creamy like a milkshake, but is made from rye and wheat and all kinds of healthy things. I'm not crazy about it, but I can drink it if it's really cold. Simeon doesn't mind it, but still prefers his water. Lunch is the main meal of the day and usually involves fresh seasonal fruit (right now it's watermelon, peaches, berries, figs) and a hot dish, usually with meat in it. So far we've had lamb in a casserole and Kebabche (really yummy sausages), fried peppers, and Banitsa (feta pastry). Supper is a bit lighter and always involves salad, mainly tomatoes and cucumbers from the garden (I've never eaten tomatoes like this before - seriously) with feta cheese, and of course bread (which they buy fresh every day) and maybe some cheese and cold meats. Anyways, there are more things I could say about it, but just trust me - it's great! :)

Well, that's probably enough info for now! My posts may be long because I'm not sure how often I will get to an internet cafe, but I hope you enjoy hearing about our adventures!

Take care! :)
Deanna (and crew)

5 Comments:

At 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Momtchilov´s it´s the Falk´s here. We´re still in Iceland but fly out tomorrow. Yeah so glad your travelling went okay.Wow 20 hours...way to go Simeon! Great to read your post and hear how things are going so far. Isaac has turned out to be quite the little traveller. We just got back from another 8 hour drive (#3) with one more to go. We we´re on the East side of the island for the last 10 days and the airport is on the West. Our time here has been great and we´ve been so blessed by the people we´ve stayed with...lot´s to share once your back! We miss you and your in our thoughts.
Blessings...The Falks

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger lafammedesfemmes said...

Hi Dee,

Thanks for such a beautiful update. I'm glad all is well. I'm sure Sim has everyone there wrapped around his little finger by now....he is just SO cute!! I miss you all, especially now that I am home in Winnipeg.

All the best for a wonderful month, and I'll check back often for your updates.

Lots of love,
Julia

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Deanna Momtchilov said...

Ang, we miss you guys too! It will have been so long when we finally see you! Can't wait to swap travelling stories. Glad to hear you're all doing well.

Julia, wish we could see you again. Hopefully in fall?

 
At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Guys!
Glad to hear you got to Bulgaria ok but, sorry to hear about the luggage. How is my Simeon doing? I miss you all sooooooo much and hope to see you at Christmas when we will all see the newest addition to The Momtchilov Family!!!! I am really blessed to have you guys in my life and wish you were here. I am going out with Mom to go over to Aunt Heather's to swim but trust me I will see you soon. Love and miss you 4 (the baby in the belly is number 4)
X's and O's!
Auntie Emma

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger Joyska said...

So good to hear you are doing so well! I just spent some awesome time watching the videos you sent as well as all the other wonderful gifts! Thank you so much!!!! I miss you guys a lot! I'll be checking in lots as well!
love ya! and Deyan,,, HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAN! I haven't forgotten!
(i know it's early... but you are in Bulgaria... you never know how long it will be before you see this!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home