Wednesday, August 10, 2005

I can see!

Well, we're back in Pazardjik with Deyan's grandparents. Today we went to the eye doctor. I haven't had my eyes tested since I was 15, at which point I was diagnosed with astigmatism. I haven't worn glasses in years, even though I could use them. Deyan's last exam was 4 years ago, so we figured it was time and it's also much cheaper here. It cost $6 for the exam, $14/lens which have special "photosynthesis" properties (something about tinting in sunlight, not sure if I totally understand) . I got 2 pairs of frames, 1 cost $9 and the other $45. So, not bad really. Oh, and this is actually Leva, the Bulgarian currency which is roughly 80cents CDN. It was interesting trying on glasses and I chose some pretty funky ones, thanks to Deyan's prodding. He says they're pretty stylish, but it will definitely take some getting used to for me!

Thankfully, the exam uses numbers instead of letters for identifying your vision. The Bulgarian alphabet is Syralic, and although I know all the letters, it could have been rather confusing! For instance, B in Bulgarian is pronounced V, P=R, H=N, and so on. Numbers are the same, as long as you know what they're called, which I do.

By the way, Deyan's recovery from his dental surgery has gone extremely well. He's eating normally, has very little swelling, and the pain doesn't seem to be bad at all. He's not looking forward to going through it again in a couple of weeks, but he's happy with how smooth things have gone so far.

Tomorrow is Deyan's birthday! We are going to Sofia, the capital, to pick up Mitch at the airport with Deyan's uncle. Then Deyan, Simeon & I will stay and spend the afternoon/night with his dad. We will also probably meet his sister who is only 9 months old. Ionka arrives the next day and Deyan's cousin will pick her up and drive all of us back to Pazardjik. I'm sure things will get busy after that! Happy day! :)

7 Comments:

At 6:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Deyan!!
Glad to hear you can see Dee :)
Love you guys...
Court :)

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Joyska said...

sure get on my case for not taking care of myself... who hasn't worn their glasses? hmmm interesting!

Happy BDAY Dey! Sounds like a great place to celebrate!

 
At 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Dey. Make sure they don't take too many teeth out. I guess I'll have to start wearing my glasses now, (not that I need them). Blessings, Dad

 
At 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Dey!!
You are a wonderful son! So glad your family gets to celebrate with you. With all this dental work sure hope the Lord doesn't give you too much to chew on :)
Can't wait to see the funky glasses, Dee. Kisses for my nicest, nicest boy please.
Love, Mom xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Joyska said...

Hey... since i know you guys are reading this blog... HELLO to Dan, to Court, to Emma, to Kelly, and to anyone else I know on that side of the country! It's so fun to see your comments! You can check out my blog too at joyska.blogspot.com if you want! Sorry dee and dey... I'm using your blog as a message board... but hey, whatever works! Love you guys and miss ya much... read that kid a book for me K?

 
At 5:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey again guys!
Hello Joyska!!! (I had to say that) and you look different in pictures since I have seen you. To Dee, Dey, and Simeon. Happy Birthday Brother!!!!! Wish I could've been with you guys to say it in person but, I know you are having an awesome time with your family so I am happy. Hope it doesn't get to busy but, I know you will have fun anyway. Hope to see those glasses at Christmas time Dee! I am going to school in September! So please pray for me because I am happy and nervous at the same time. Love you all and kisses to everyone. Say hi to Ionka and Mitch for me.
Love you
Auntie Emma

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger Deanna Momtchilov said...

Everyone, thanks for all the comments! It's fun to hear from you guys. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home